Sunday, January 29, 2012

Getting Her to Clean Her Room

My daughter loves to clean but she hates cleaning her room. I can't say I blame her though I've never been a fan of room cleaning. Why is that I wonder?

Everytime we tell her she needs to clean her room she moans and complains (but yet she'll go organize the silverware or tupperware drawer without being told). So I started setting the kitchen timer to 5 minutes and have her pick up a specific item, like her crayons. If she has any time left after picking up said item I add that to the next 5 minutes for the next item to get picked up.  So if she had 3 minutes left to spare, she will now have 8 minutes to do the next task, maybe putting her clothes away.  I keep this up until her room is clean.  She thinks this is great fun.  How awesome is that for me? :)  I know this will get old for her one day but for now it's been working like a charm to get her to clean her room without complaints so that makes me one happy mama!

No comments:

Post a Comment