Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Homemade Finger Paint

What's more fun than finger painting? Not much if you're 2. I mean how awesome to color with your hands and make a mess at the same time. And...... it's super easy to make your own and if your little one tries to eat this, it won't hurt them.  Not that I would encourage the eating of finger paint but if they try and taste it no need to freak! I found this in an old cookbook of mine.

Gather your supplies (you probably already have all of these in your kitchen)
3 Tablespoons Sugar
1/2 Teaspoon Salt
1/2 Cup of Cornstarch
2 Cups of Water
Food Coloring (not shown...oops)



Mix together in small saucepan over a low heat until thickened.
Stirring frequently. Mine took about 15 minutes.



Let the mixture cool and pour into desired containers.
I used old baby food jars.


Add food coloring to each jar.  I used the Neon ones because neon makes things much more fun right?  I actually screwed up 2 of the colors though. The purple and pink caps looked fairly similar to me and this is why I have 2 purples and the brown color was supposed to be apricot, but I figured they are going to need a brown to make trees.



Let your little ones go to town!



This finger paint I felt was a little bit thick, but it actually seemed to work better for a 2 year old then the traditional finger paint.  But I would imagine if you add a little more water you could thin it out if you wanted.


No comments:

Post a Comment