Saturday, March 10, 2012

Not your average Lasagna

I LOVE me some Italian food and lasagna is one of my favorite dishes.  I inherited this recipe from an old family friend.  It really isn't your typical lasagna since there's no ricotta (or cottage cheese) involved and it includes....dare I say it....Velveeta.  I feel since it includes Velveeta it can no longer be label as an Italian dish but nonetheless it's deelish! Try it... You'll like it.




What you will need:
1lb. ground beef
½ C. chopped onion
1 lb can tomatoes (this is what my recipe says, I use the big can of crushed tomatoes)
1/3 C. water
1 garlic clove, minced
1 tsp oregano
¼ tsp pepper
1 6oz can tomato paste
½ C grated Parmesan
9 lasagna noodles (cooked)
2 (6oz) packages sliced mozzarella
½ lb velveeta cheese, thinly sliced

What you will do:
Brown meat with onion in large saucepan, drain.  Stir in tomatoes, water, garlic,tomato paste, and seasonings.  Cover and simmer 30 minutes.

Preheat oven to 350°.

In 13 x 9 baking dish, put a small layer of meat sauce down.  Then layer the noodles, meat sauce, and cheeses.  Repeat 2 more times.  Bake at 350° for 30 minutes. 

This may also be made up and then frozen. Just freeze before baking and when you want to bake it, let it sit out for a half hour and then bake at 350° for 1 hour.

No comments:

Post a Comment